When it comes to website rankings and click through rates (CTRs) of Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs), organic is still more trusted than paid links. Digital marketers have always strived to increase the organic traffic to a website, because the benefits of growing organically is huge. So, here are some ways to increase the organic traffic to a website.
- Planning / Strategizing– The first step in any endeavor is planning and strategizing. When it comes to increasing organic traffic, there are several measures to contemplate. The goals need to be set first. This includes determining the content and making a schedule, analyzing the website and competitor activities and planning a budget.
- Taking care of technical bugs– Complete audit of the site is needed to eliminate any technical bugs. SEO errors and suggestions can be verified using several tools and websites and it can be done for free. Auditing the site will give information about the page load speed, duplicate pages, 301 and 404 errors amongst others. These problems can be taken care of with the help of free tools. Severe technical errors can be rectified with the help of professionals.
- Checking the mobile version of a site – More and more users are using their mobile phones to access websites. If resources are not utilized to create and develop a mobile friendly site, then it runs the risk of losing site audience. Adaptive design or a mobile version of a website must be created to engage such users.
- External link audit– Link building has been the crux of SEO, but sometimes it becomes its bane. Periodic link audits are the need of the hour. If the site already has a lot of backlinks, then each link should be checked individually to make sure that they are not coming from spam sites. In case, there is no backlinks, then a link building strategy must be employed that adheres to search engine guidelines.
- On-page optimization– Once external links are taken care of, then the focus should be on on-page SEO. This includes activities such as writing meta keywords, meta descriptions and image tags to more technical activities such as properly creating a robots.txt file and site maps in XML.
- Optimized URLs– The page URLs must also be SEO optimized. A good CMS makes this easy to achieve. An optimized URL should contain relevant keywords, should be concise, and should have hyphens instead of underscores or blank spaces.
- Content and blogging– The site should be updated regularly with relevant blogs and quality content. Content can include text, infographics, video, podcasts etc. The content should be relevant to the site and must not be plagiarized.
- Market the content– Merely creating and publishing content is not enough. It should reach the intended audience. This can be done by promoting the pages on social media and other bookmarking sites.
- Leverage analytics– Website analytics is a perfect tool to understand what works and what does not. It informs where the audience comes from and where they spend their time. This is an excellent tool that gives insights for future content and promotion.
These are some of the steps that should be taken to organically increase the number of visitors to the site and rank higher in the SERPs. Pay per click ads are good to place a company on the first page of a search engine, but in the long run, organic benefits far outweigh the paid ads.