The digital era has revolutionised the way businesses and brands across the globe are carrying out their digital operations and marketing strategies.
According to CISCO’s Visual Networking Index (VNI) report, by 2021, 829 million Indians are expected to take an incredible leap towards internet accessibility. This is an unprecedented jump of users from 0.5% in 2000 to 59% in 2017.
All of this translates into the simple fact that almost all businesses, sooner or later, must include digital in their marketing activities. And with the demand for digital marketers outweighing the supply, there are plenty of opportunities out there for those looking to get into the field! Let’s look at prospects of digital marketing as a career choice and how one can go about it.
Digital Marketing: The Career of the Future?
Digital marketing has pretty much made traditional marketing redundant, since it allows businesses to target specific audiences easily, and personalise their marketing efforts to a degree impossible to achieve with regular marketing.
More importantly, with digital marketing, it is easier to analyse what’s working for the business, and what isn’t. The data is easily available, and can play a major role in ensuring that the business is invested in the right place. The returns on investment for a business are unimaginably high!
So, a career in digital marketing is definitely a plus for a student, in terms of relevance to businesses!
There’s also a lot to learn! Digital marketing is ever-evolving, which means every day is a new one. And if you work in an agency, you will be surrounded by different clients, which makes it an interesting career option. Digital marketing as a field has more open jobs and fewer candidates. There are 1,50,000 digital jobs predicted by 2020 and not enough digital professionals to fill them. This is known as the digital skills gap.
So anyone looking to enter the digital marketing field already has a competitive advantage, where the demand exceeds supply.
In concurrence with the above, when the demand for a certain product exceeds supply, the typical scenario in traditional economics is that the value of the product increases along with the price. When you work in a fruitful industry such as digital marketing, you are at a better disposal to hold negotiations for your salary. You need to have good skills as a digital marketer, which can help you earn better, as long as you showcase your good work during the job search process.
Another plus point of digital marketing as a career is that you are always going to find something new to do in this field, and have someone new to talk to. Whether it’s a new client, a colleague with an interesting speciality, or finding fun ways to engage and expand your audience, anyone with interest in working with people will do well in the social and business end of this career.
The digital marketing world is so diverse that it provides a host of opportunities for you to kickstart your own career before you even set foot in the workplace. Take a digital marketing course, invest in building a powerful social media presence, gain your twitter followers, start your own blog and contribute to relevant online conversations. This will help you stand out to potential employers. A digital marketing course will help you to take charge of your career in your own hands.
A Career In Digital Marketing Needs Very Specific Skills…
While a career in digital marketing seems enticing, there are certain skills that a candidate definitely needs to lay his hands on in order to emerge as a successful digital marketing manager, content marketing being the most important and the core of digital marketing.
Content marketing can be a challenging job as you should not only be able to create some high quality, SEO-friendly content, but also understand how to effectively get audiences to engage. It is also crucial to understand that content just does not mean written word, it can take many forms such as videos, social media graphics, emails, web-content, blogs, e-books, white papers etc.
You will need to be able to strategize based on a given client’s business goals, develop a campaign that involves an effective strategy and monitor statistics as well. Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing, is key to all levels of digital marketing and anyone going into the field must have at least a basic handle on it.
Two important aspects of SEM are optimising your website content for organic search and paying for clicks using Google Adwords. Both SEO and SEM inform your entire digital strategy on both a data and content level. Having a solid understanding of the best practices and how to optimize all forms of content is crucial for running a successful digital marketing campaign.
To become a successful digital marketer, you need to be able to learn how to analyse data. Marketers are increasingly relying on data to measure ROI, create more engaging content and also to improve conversion rates. The two methods most commonly used by digital marketers to improve conversion rates derived from data are customer journey analysis and A/B testing.
In fact, every three in four digital marketing professionals tend to lean on Analytics to get ideas for different aspects of any project they are working on.
Therefore, data-driven marketing forms one of the basic tenets of a successful digital marketing professional.
Apart from the above, a new digital marketing hire should also be well-versed in paid social media advertising, especially through Facebook ads. They need to be able to understand and implement Facebook analytics and insights, create custom audiences, experiment and test creative campaign and images, and be secure in their knowledge of the overall social media landscape.
How Regenesys Helps You Pursue a Successful Career in Digital Marketing:
Regenesys offers a 6-month Post Graduate Programme in Digital Marketing and Management (PGPDMM), that is aimed at developing the candidates into digital marketing experts. A candidate will learn all of the above mentioned skills in our digital marketing course . The course offerings include :
- Search Engine Optimization: The SEO module will help you develop the skills needed to help businesses appear on the top of search result rankings and generate traffic effectively and consistently. You will learn about keyword research, website design and audit, link-building, Google Search Console Analytics, domain set-up and hosting.
- Pay Per Click (PPC): This module aims at helping you understand the paid search ads ecosystem. This includes learning about advertising strategy development, campaign design, conversion tracking, landing pages and advance PPC techniques. By the end of the module, you will be thoroughly well-versed with SEM (Search Engine Marketing).
- Social Media Marketing: At the end of this module, you will be an expert in planning and implement social media campaigns on different platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
- E-mail Marketing: This module helps you understand the scope of email marketing, as well as learn the finer details such as email design and templates, email subscription management, reporting and analytics. You will be exposed to case studies and best practices related to the upcoming trends in email marketing (video emails) and work towards becoming an expert in email marketing strategies.
- Web Analytics: This is one very important aspect of digital marketing, that enables you to analyse data and improve solutions related to market research. This module will help you learn the various aspects of mobile and website application data analysis, multi-channel analytics, qualitative research, and reports.
- Display Advertising: You will learn to manage all aspects of display advertising, such as creating and optimising ad campaigns, utilisation of online cookies, and remarketing display ad campaigns.
- Mobile Marketing: Being the most relevant and effective part of a company’s marketing efforts, this module is focused on understanding how to leverage the mobile platform, through mobile-responsive design, mobile apps, SMS, QR Codes, and other techniques.
- Marketing & Sales: This is a core component of any business. You will be able to understand market situations, develop marketing strategies (traditional and digital), and apply these concepts in the company.
Regenesys offers an experience-oriented digital marketing programme where there is focus on learning not just through classroom lectures but also through workshops, seminars, live projects and various group activities that are organised.
What’s more, the classroom training is followed by a 2-month, paid corporate internship, which gives students a first-hand experience of applying their acquired skills to real-life corporate challenges!
Students are encouraged beyond to go beyond the usual curriculum and develop their competencies through reading, writing, problem-solving and practical tests outside the classroom.
This helps them to work on critical thinking skills and cognitive skills. Students develop their understanding and show their ability to apply knowledge and analyses to various business contexts through the use of case studies, business scenarios, presentations and problem-based learning exercises.
In addition to the PGPDMM certificate, students also receive the following certifications, that will help them progress in their careers:
- Facebook Blueprint Certificate
- Google AdWords Fundamental Certificate
- Google Display Advertising Certificates
- Google Video Advertising Certificates
- Microsoft (Bing ads accredited Professional Certificate)
To know more about the programme, head here!
Written by: Dr. Richa Arora, Group CEO and Director at the Regenesys Business School.